Thursday, February 20, 2014

What Study Abroad Meant to Me

Before I left
Some words that came to mind when I thought of study abroad during the month leading to my departure: unknown, fear, failure. Living in an unknown city for five months, fearing the risk of being alone, struggling and even failing at a new university. Now that’s a pretty negative way to think of a five month sojourn in Paris, but for most of my life I’ve had difficulty dealing with change. Staying where you are is comfortable and safe. I found myself wondering why I had made such a decision to uproot my life for half a year and send myself to almost certain disaster (yes, I was fairly sure that my time abroad was going to be a disaster). Sure I wanted to travel, see the world, experience different cultures, but like this? Boarding a plane all by myself without a clue of what was going to happen when I landed?


While I was there
Thankfully, those thoughts did not last long once I was in Paris. I was still anxious as I arrived; I hadn’t slept at all on the plane, and I had very little idea of how to navigate Charles de Gaulle airport. Eventually I found the API study abroad staff and other students who were in my program, but all I could look forward to was sleep. On the ride from the airport to our hotel where we would stay the first night, I saw Notre Dame for the first time, and at that moment I finally started to feel like I made the right decision. Before the first week in Paris was over, absolutely no doubt remained that I had made the right decision. Suddenly, I was having the time of my life and study abroad took a whole new meaning. It meant friendship, a new family, a new home. It meant I was exactly where I wanted to be and I never wanted to leave. It meant every day I was improving my language skills and realizing that there was a whole world at my disposal.


When I got back
I was devastated to come home. I thought it meant that all the wonder and magic of this experience had to end. That was only partially true. Sure I was returning to Massachusetts, which is certainly no Paris. I was leaving my newest best friends and my resident directors (who were like moms away from home), and I had sincere worries that I would be leaving behind this new person I had become. If I returned back to Massachusetts, wouldn’t I turn back into “Massachusetts me?” Would “Paris me” fit in here? During those 5 months, I felt myself grow and change. Usually, personal growth happens gradually so you don’t notice it all that much, but the change from studying abroad happens in just 5 months and you notice it. I felt more confident and secure, I had a broader idea of what it meant to live life, I was more organized and had new, exciting plans for the future. I liked who I had become. I’m not saying I underwent a full transformation; I was me, but I was a “me” who felt a lot happier about life. That’s a lot to lose but fortunately, those are the changes that come home with you. I can’t bring Paris back to the USA, and I can’t move my friends across land and ocean, but I can bring what I’ve learned about the world and myself. Returning home felt like a struggle at first. The “Paris me” and the “Massachusetts Me” had to learn how to cohabitate; I had to come to terms with not having fresh crepês every day and once again living the small-town life,  but I’d like to think that the “Paris me” takes the drivers seat now with more confidence and a better outlook on life and opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment